Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Value of being alone:

It's difficult to believe that a third of the new year has already flown by. What's the old saying? Time flies when you're having fun.

Well in that case I must be having a lot of fun because time has been moving at the speed of light. Do you remember when you were a child and it seemed as if Christmas would never come? Looking back from very close to the cutting edge of the biblical three score years and ten I can honestly say I have never found the meaning of the word boredom.

Every time I hear a child or teen or young adult saying "I'm bored" I feel a real compassion. To me it's sad that so many young people equate frenetic activity with happiness. They've never learned to nourish and cherish their well of inner reserves. Boredom, I've always thought, is little more than a lack of inner reserves.

Whatever happened to "quiet time"?
In our home, when our children were young we had quiet time every evening. A time when toys were put away, books were brought out, television was off and everyone had to amuse themselves. It was a time of reflection, a time to regroup after an activity filled day. I can never remember any one of my children complaining of being bored.

We weren't rich but they learned to create their own fun. Most of the time they were hell on wheels! Full of fun and laughter and devilment.

Looking back, I realize quiet time taught our children to value the solace of being alone. To me, time alone is as necessary as breathing or eating. It is a time to replenish and nourish the soul, and refill the well of creativity that is the very heart of every writer.

And being alone definitely doesn't equate to loneliness.
No one is devoid of a creative core.
It's sad that this part of our psyche is not nourished alongside the physical side. 

After all the opposite of creativity is destruction. And I know which I prefer.
Post a Comment