Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Deep Editing...getting the final draft as perfect as I can make it

Deep Editing is the hardest part of writing for me.

It is when a writer has to examine every phrase...ensure every word progresses the plot, adds emotional tension or moves the story forward.

It's hard work but so worthwhile. It's this final polish that makes a book an effortless and satisfying read...for the reader.

In this endeavour I have found my critique partner is invaluable....she will pull me up... And it's always the silly things. The ending of words that are wrong, Or most recently where in one sequence she said bluntly... this doesn't wash....

And she was so right.
It never ceases to amaze me what a fresh set of eyes picks up.

But with the best will in the world a writer becomes so familiar with their WIP (work in progress) that they just don't see the glaring mistakes that hit an unfamiliar reader smack in the eye.

I've taken the reader comments from the Clendon seriously.... And have added several steamy scenes to lift a compelling love story to the next level.

I've given the cute two year old twins a naughty side....as anyone who has ever lived through the terrible twos well knows they have....I'm sure the first word they learn is no...

And I've cut out one villain.... Three readers said there were one too many...and the heroine's father was a distraction the story didn't need.

As the original deadbeat dad , his influence or rather lack of... is the prime motivation of my heroine...so I am ambivalent about cutting him completely from the story.

I haven't reached the him yet but as I work through this final polish but I already suspect this astute reader has nailed it...and he will have to take a back seat.

So the WIP is fast becoming a final draft...and ready to wing it's way out into the world...



    
Post a Comment