Sunday, August 21, 2011

Home again...exhausted but exhilarated

Receiving Highly Commended Certificate For Clendon Award 2011 
Left to right Diana Holmes, Nicola Davidson, Sandii Manning, Shirley Wine, Maria Snyder

Conference is over for another year...a full on learning experience... a gab fest with friends...a catch up on industry trends.  If there was one thing I took out of conference this year it is that the publishing industry itself is not sure in which direction it is headed.

It is going to be interesting to watch and see how the industry shakes down and which way it will emerge from its current crisis.

In my last blog I admitted my nervousness at submitting a query letter for Bob Mayer's critique. It was with fear and trembling that I watched my one come up on the screen. To my delight he said he would only change one word...
The query launched straight into the tag line and pitch. followed by word length, target market followed by a brief bio of writing credits. So apart from that minor change I received a pass mark... oh the relief.  And the validation that I was right to trust my instincts.

It was also a very productive weekend. I received my Clendon award rosettes to add to my now very colourful wall. On a very positive note to end with, I have two requests for full manuscripts another request for a partial so I am cautiously optimistic. As others have commented...watch this space.

I cannot finish this post without mentioning my friend and writing compatriot...Sandra Hyatt who, during the conference, was rushed to hospital gravely ill.... our love and prayers are with Sandra and her family at this difficult time.
  



  
Post a Comment