Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ten Things I love About Writing.

I got to thinking about  this a couple of weeks ago. What is it about writing that keeps me at my keyboard? I'm not a great lover of lists but I'll give it a go.

  • Words....I love words. and when I come across a new one its treasure. I've worn out one dictionary an Oxford Illustrated and have a well thumbed second one.
  • The cadence of the written word...the sound of words. Any parent who's read to a child knows that books that sound great become favourites. Beatrix Potter and Dr Seuss are proof of this.
  • The visual effect of words on a page...its so structural...white paper with squiggly lines people can read and enjoy.
  • Writing give expression to the voices in my head. Not so sure what it says about my mental health  when I not only talk to the imaginary people I write down their conversations!
  • One great pleasure is watching a character grow and mature. I'm always surprised how characters develop quirks and foibles and how often a throwaway line will shape a character.
  •   Writing feeds my curiosity...my mother said it was a failing....but what ifs...are the spice of life.
  • Writing lets me indulge in people watching. People fascinate me. I love sitting in a side walk cafe watching people...coffee optional.   
  • Writing feeds my imagination...fleshing out snatches of overheard conversations...some overheard gems are priceless...it's great fun to continue such conversations through your characters.
  • Writing gives me licence as an armchair psychologist, put characters through hoops, drop them in untenable situations and indulge my dark side.     
  • Last but not least writing give me immense satisfaction. Writing The End knowing you've created something  readers will either love or hate. 
Now I need to know what excites readers... please leave a comment 
Post a Comment