Saturday, November 5, 2011

Revisions and American spelling and grammar.

Yesterday was a red letter day for me----all because of a rejection.

After a slew of rejections, a much more positive response.  An editor really liked my characters, like my plot and thought my writing showed great promise ---- and only other writers will get the huge boost of confidence such words bring.

She asked me to revise my manuscript and resubmit it to her ---- then went the extra mile going through the first few pages and showing me what she required.  She suggested I tone down the emotion....and then showed me how many words I'd used that intimated anger---and I freely admit to being surprised.  

But other mistakes present more difficulty... you see, as a New Zealander, I think and write in English grammar and spelling and not American spelling and grammar.

And the differences range from subtle to huge.  

Take the humble ? In English it is followed by a capital letter.  "You don't say?" She asked. (English) As opposed to,  "You don't say?" she asked. (American)
 Then there are the ou words. Colour, labour, foetus etc and the ise words... realise, recognise, fantasise and all the ll  words...towelling, appalling, modelling etc.  And these are only a very few of the differences between the two forms of English.  Neither is wrong they are just different.

To combat this I have begun work in American English when submitting to American publishers but revert to English spelling and grammar when submitting to English Publishers.

And you thought English a universal language.  Dream on!
The language differences make life more difficult for English grammar writers submitting to American markets.  And unfortunately I find it easy to get confused.

Ah well them's the breaks.  (NZ colloquialism )
Post a Comment