Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas Comes in Summer

Once again December has dawned with hot, sticky weather.

And once again we're bombarded with images of Christmas lights, snow scenes and adverts with people singing Christmas carols wrapped up in winter gear and mufflers...and I feel a dose of heat stroke coming on.  When I look at old photographs of pioneer women, in neck to ankle gowns, and see those large families sitting down to huge roast turkey and plum puddings, I can truly sympathise.

Now those of us who live in the Southern Hemisphere, are a little wiser: Our Christmas menus are more suited to our climate. barbecues and salads, or cold cuts make a lot more sense. And the deserts: pavlova, fresh fruit salad  and ice-cream have replaced the heavy steamed puddings.  Decadent and Yum.

I vividly recall a conversation with a new New Zealander who was mourning the missing smells and scenes of an English Christmas. And I sniffed and smelled new mown hay, blazing sunshine, fresh mint peas, fresh dug potatoes... and assured her it smelled exactly like Christmas.

But some things don't change regardless of the hemisphere we live in. Families. Midnight carol service, Christmas trees,  fun and laughter.   I have two things are high on my bucket list... to see snow falling...and to experience a white Christmas at least once in my lifetime.

 
Post a Comment