Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Spring

My natiive corner with our farm waterwheel

for more information visit my new site

www.shirleywine.com

Finally I think we can officially say spring is on its way.


After last summer's dreary weather and a wet... wet...wet...winter is is such a joy to see sunshine.

The daffodils are out, the flowering may is showing colour, the early scarlet rhodo and white tulip magnolia have turned my driveway into a picturesque scene.

The birds are singing and this morning I watched a blackbird methodically line up a heap of worms so I guess she's feeding babies in the hedgerow somewhere.
My back garden
I've always loved birdwatching and I thought that our move from the country into town would end this enduring hobby...but no. In our little town we are not too far from open country and we have an amazing variety of birdlife that visit.

Tuis and bellbirds are regular visitors and the big bellied native pigeons often call by.


My front garden from my lounge window
Then there are the little birds...the grey warbler with their tiny legs, no bigger than darning needles, and their sweet sad song....to me it always sounds as if their sweet refrain says...never the same again...never the same again... theirs is the quintessential sound of New Zealand's bush.  And the fantails that flit around the garden a few feet from my spade and wax-eyes by the number.

Then we have regular visits by mynas chaffinches, green finches, goldfinches and sparrows and the very occasional yellowhammer....but they are more open country birds.

But by far the highlight for me was the recent visit to my garden of a NZ native falcon. I have only ever seen one other...and that was in one of our country gardens.  They are very rare visitors this far north. But as I have free flight ring-neck and lace-neck doves who come into my maize feeder I guess the falcon was after  an easy meal.

The wrought iron archway and rose bed
It was a real highlight of my day to see this magnificent and rare bird sitting atop the wrought iron archway over my dovecote.   Unfortunately he was too fast for me to capture on camera.
Post a Comment